Roadster aims to be easy-to-use and open-source desktop mapping software.
- Serve as a replacement for proprietary consumer-level navigation software (on Linux, Mac, and Windows)
- An easy-to-use interface (with GNOME HIG compliance)
- GPS receiver support that Just Works
- “Points of Interest” that users can create, edit, and share
- Beautiful map rendering that is fully themeable using an XML style file
- Low internal complexity through the use of powerful open-source code libraries (currently using GLib, GTK+/GDK, Cairo, libxml2, and MySQL)
- Be Free Software and cost $0